Sunday, November 29, 2009

Rocks and Monsters

Part 1: Rocks

A little history: Four trips to Temecula, only one without mechanical difficulties. I had to run half of lap after lacerating a tire. I had to borrow a wheel from the Holley's after bending a rim pre-race. The last time, our championship race, I had another bent rim! Now, I'm not sure if this happened on Bear Claw-Poppy, the pre-ride or the week before riding the norm at the mouth of the canyon. I know you're thinking, pump up your tires. I do have a pump, which I use before each ride. But I'm really starting to wonder if I need to start compromising traction for pressure. In my defense, for my weight, 30 psi 'should' be fine, but two rims in less than a year! Fortunately, this bend held and the race went off without too many problems. I'd say 'fine' but anyone that has done this type of race knows that would be a lie.

Part 2: Monsters

The last couple of years I've been converting the SuperFly into a SingleFly after the season. This year took a few extra weeks but I made it. Why, I don't know. I'm still trying to figure this one out.

This is what I found in my tire after a season of stand by.





The creature is about the size of a tennis ball. I don't know how it fit in the tire. I brought the thing into a stable ecosystem to see if I can get it to continue to grow (my closet has to be better that a dormant wheel). If I've truly created a monster I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment